Thursday, September 20, 2012

Sleeping IS The Enemy

I remember when I was young and dreaming of having a family, I knew everything would be perfect. Yes the first couple months would be rough, there would be late night feedings, and I had heard that teething was hard. But that was such a small part of the time, and the joy of having my happy baby would more than make up for a few sleepless nights.

That was then, this is now. I have often wondered who came up with the whole secrecy thing when it comes to child rearing? No one ever told me that having a baby would be the end of sleep as I knew it. My first baby decided that everything was far too interesting to ever willingly go to sleep.  Hours were spent bouncing and patting, singing and soothing, all to no avail. I finally found I could lay her down and nurse her to sleep. I couldn't move her mind you, the slightest shift would rouse her immediately so I would sleep next to her. Now I know there is a huge controversy about the safety of your child when co-sleeping, but we made out just fine. The success was due, in part, to the fact that I am a light sleeper and I was so sleep deprived that I could easily sleep in an awkward position with my arm creating a protective arc over her.

Unfortunately I was so successful with this method that now, at age nine, she still wants Mommy to sleep next to her when ever she has trouble falling to sleep. Even more unfortunate, for me anyway, she has trouble falling asleep more often than not.

The other night my little Miss was not feeling well. So I did what I always do, I climbed into bed next to her. This is a technique I learned from my mother. When I was sick, she would make a bed for me on the love seat in the living room, and she would sleep on the couch. I remember the comforting feeling of knowing Mom was right there if I needed her. So my sickie and I snuggled down for a night's rest, knowing I would not be the one getting much rest. Sure enough, I rolled over on my belly and started to drift off. That when my little one rolled over and slung her leg over my back. Seriously? There I lay, her knee between my shoulder blades and her foot in the small of my back.   What was I to do?

I did what any good momma would do. I fell asleep.

Don't Say I Didn't Tell You.

2 comments:

  1. I remember those days. I really remember the time you flopped down on my stomach thinking I was your pillow. That's why when you weren't feeling well I put you on the love seat an I took the couch. Great memories. love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I so used to do this to my poor mom (that probably doesn't surprise you, huh?) If it's any consolation the feeling of warmth and security getting to curl up next to her remains in my memory to this day. She solved the problem of me keeping her up all night by only letting me stay in her bed for ten minutes, then I had to go back to my own room.

    ReplyDelete